Data Engineer Job Description
What is a Data Engineer?
A data engineer specializes in building large data infrastructure, tools, and systems. They are highly skilled in data architecture and applications.
What does a Data Engineer do?
A data engineer creates large storages for huge amounts of data.Data engineers manage several roles in the development and construction of data infrastructures from designing and constructing, to maintenance and research, to installation and testing.
Typical tasks for a Data Engineer Include:
- Design and create high-quality data management systems
- Install and test data systems
- Create clean and usable data
- Collaborate with data engineers and data scientists for data management and analysis
- Identify and provide solutions in regards to data systems
- Develop high-quality prototypes, algorithms, models and the like
- Combine systems by Integrating several tools and languages
- Research solutions to ensure data reliability and data quality
- Create dataset processes and software components
- Optimize data pipelines, data sets, and architectures
- Collaborate with the analytics team to provide data for data scientists
- Develop and manage data integration jobs
- Work closely with software developers, data analysts, data scientists, database architects, and other technical personnel for data projects
Technical Skills for Data Engineers:
- Strong foundation in big data technologies, open source data ingestion and processing frameworks
- Strong foundation in programming languages like C#, Java, Ruby, Python, Scala, and SQL.
- Knowledge of extract, load tools, and REST-oriented APIs
- Strong knowledge of big data tools like Hadoop data lakes, Kafka, Spark and others
- Knowledge of Lambda architecture, NoSQL databases, and Apache Spark systems
- Advanced SQL knowledge
- Knowledge of object-oriented languages like Python, C++Java, Scala, and others
- Knowledge of AWS cloud services like EC2, RDS, EMR, Redshift, and others
- Knowledge of relational SQL and NoSQL databases like Cassandra,Postgres, and others
- Knowledge of workflow management and data pipeline tools like Azkaban, Airflow,Luigi, and others.
- Knowledge of stream-processing systems like Spark-Streaming,Storm, and others
What to Include in a Data Engineer Job Description – Template
Below are the elements to include in a strong Data Engineer description:
Title: Data Engineer Job Description: [ Include a brief description of the role you’re hiring for.] We’re looking for a rockstar Data Engineer who can help take our startup to the next level! You will be the lead Data Engineer on a growing team.
Company Description [Write a short introduction to your company. Include your mission statement and anything that makes your company stand out.]
Compensation: $110k up to $170k+ The right candidate will have the following skills [List skills and responsibilities]
Benefits & Perks [Insert benefits here. These can include work schedule, company catered meals, fitness perks, pet policies and more]